Inside Israel

Amid winter storm Elpis, 9 kids suffer CO poisoning from coal burnt to heat homes

The Soroka Medical Center in Beersheba said Friday morning that nine children suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning from charcoal grills used to heat up their homes were brought to the hospital overnight.

Three of the children were unconscious, the hospital said. Doctors managed to stabilize them and they were later transferred to the Shamir Medical Center near Tel Aviv for further treatment.

It was not immediately clear how many separate incidents of CO poisoning were recorded Thursday night, or where the victims lived.

“In the last two weeks amid the cold weather, we have seen a large number of children with carbon monoxide poisoning due to the use of coal for heating,” Dr. Michal Maimon, director of the children’s ER at Soroka said.

The gas has no color or smell, so leaks can be hard to identify until symptoms of poisoning become evident. Medical experts say charcoal should only be used in a well-ventilated outdoor space, as even a single grill’s worth of burning charcoal can emit toxic levels of carbon monoxide.

On Thursday, a 44-year old man from the northern town of Reineh died from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning, after heating up his home with coals. He was not immediately named.

Medics are seen at the scene of a deadly carbon monoxide poisoning incident in the northern town of Jadeidi-Makr, January 22, 2022. (Magen David Adom)

In southern Tel Aviv, a 33-year-old mother, her 11-year-old daughter and her 3-year-old son were moderately hurt on Thursday under similar circumstances.

Last week, 40-year-old Abu Hassan al-Housri, and his wife, 35-year-old Ataaf al-Housri, were found dead in the northern Arab town of Jadeidi-Makr after they neglected to put out a grill used to warm up their bedroom when they went to sleep Friday night.

The couple’s young children noticed they had not gotten out of bed by the afternoon and alerted relatives who called first responders.

“Every winter we encounter many cases of carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of heating using fire inside homes, also as a result of installing non-standard water heaters,” Maimon said.

Temperatures dropped below freezing in many areas around the country during the past week, amid the Elpis winter storm, according to the Israeli Meteorological Service.


Telling an urgent story

During a global pandemic, one tiny country is producing research that’s helping to guide health policy across the world. How effective are COVID-19 vaccines? After the initial two shots, does a third dose help? What about a fourth?

When The Times of Israel began covering COVID-19, we had no idea that our small beat would become such a central part of the global story. Who could have known that Israel would be first at nearly every juncture of the vaccination story – and generate the research that’s so urgently needed today?

Our team has covered this story with the rigor and accuracy that characterizes Times of Israel reporting across topics. If it’s important to you that this kind of media organization exists and thrives, I urge you to support our work. Will you join The Times of Israel Community today?

Thank you,

Nathan Jeffay, Health & Science Correspondent


Join our Community


Join our Community

Already a member? Sign in to stop seeing this


You’re serious. We appreciate that!

That’s why we come to work every day – to provide discerning readers like you with must-read coverage of Israel and the Jewish world.

So now we have a request. Unlike other news outlets, we haven’t put up a paywall. But as the journalism we do is costly, we invite readers for whom The Times of Israel has become important to help support our work by joining The Times of Israel Community.

For as little as $6 a month you can help support our quality journalism while enjoying The Times of Israel AD-FREE, as well as accessing exclusive content available only to Times of Israel Community members.


Join Our Community


Join Our Community

Already a member? Sign in to stop seeing this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Articles

Back to top button
WordPress Ads